Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flex seal durability?

Has anyone successfully used Flex Seal paste to make replacements for worn
rubber parts?

Yesterday I rebuilt an air-powered 1/2" x 12" belt sander whose rubber
rollers had disintegrated. The larger drive roller is now a short piece of
heater hose on a lathe-turned spindle, crowned with a file, and the smaller
knurled brass end roller was reshod with friction tape which is probably not
a durable solution but is easily redone.

I used Flex Tape to build up the sole of a comfortable old boot and it held
up very well, better than the original dense foam sole, and wasn't any more
slippery on ice.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 08:09:37 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

Has anyone successfully used Flex Seal paste to make replacements for worn
rubber parts?

Yesterday I rebuilt an air-powered 1/2" x 12" belt sander whose rubber
rollers had disintegrated. The larger drive roller is now a short piece of
heater hose on a lathe-turned spindle, crowned with a file, and the smaller
knurled brass end roller was reshod with friction tape which is probably not
a durable solution but is easily redone.

I used Flex Tape to build up the sole of a comfortable old boot and it held
up very well, better than the original dense foam sole, and wasn't any more
slippery on ice.

Amazon reviews on these products are all over the place. The
not-so-good reviews mention failures in line with my experience using
similar products...

I've had the best luck with Goop type glue (also Shoe Goo) for
repairing shoe soles and such. Usually use it to hold down a rubber
patch over the worn area. It's a bit too soft to last very long on its
own. I've wanted to try Barge:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rds=barge+glue

for a long time now but always balk at the price. It's what a lot of
shoe repair shops use...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 14/03/2021 12:09, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Has anyone successfully used Flex Seal paste to make replacements for
worn rubber parts?

Yesterday I rebuilt an air-powered 1/2" x 12" belt sander whose rubber
rollers had disintegrated. The larger drive roller is now a short
piece of heater hose on a lathe-turned spindle, crowned with a file,
and the smaller knurled brass end roller was reshod with friction tape
which is probably not a durable solution but is easily redone.

I used Flex Tape to build up the sole of a comfortable old boot and it
held up very well, better than the original dense foam sole, and
wasn't any more slippery on ice.

I'd not heard of Flex seal but I know someone that successfully used
Sugru to repair an odd sized damaged cup seal in a Chinese made
hydraulic floor jack, the Sugru was used to build up the missing section
of the original seal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

I've had the best luck with Goop type glue (also Shoe Goo) for
repairing shoe soles and such. Usually use it to hold down a rubber
patch over the worn area. It's a bit too soft to last very long on its
own. I've wanted to try Barge:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rds=barge+glue

for a long time now but always balk at the price. It's what a lot of
shoe repair shops use...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

-----------------------
I used Barge cement on shoes long ago, when I beat them up climbing
mountains, and don't remember it being better that Shoe Goo. But that was
back when sneakers didn't delaminate so easily before they otherwise wore
out.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 12:40:28 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
I used Barge cement on shoes long ago, when I beat them up climbing
mountains, and don't remember it being better that Shoe Goo. But that was
back when sneakers didn't delaminate so easily before they otherwise wore
out.

Thanks, I'll probably just stick with Goop type stuff then. I can often
find that locally on sale or clearance priced. I try to make a
judgment call whether a repair makes sense or not. Price of glue to
maybe fix shoe or just bite it and replace them

The utter crap soles they put on shoes nowadays is terrible.
Maybe an 1/8 - 3/16 inch and then a hollow framework to support it.
Once you wear through that 1/8 inch it's a straight shot in to the
insole. So if the road is wet your feet will soon be wet too

I noticed in the Amazon comments for the Flex Seal Paste that it dries
out rather quick. A lot of complaints that it was already dry and funky
when received. Others mentioned it dried out fast after opening...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

I noticed in the Amazon comments for the Flex Seal Paste that it dries
out rather quick. A lot of complaints that it was already dry and funky
when received. Others mentioned it dried out fast after opening...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Lots of things dry out too quickly. Greasing the cap threads helps, and some
benefit from adding an appropriate solvent, i.e. one that dissolves a small
sample.