Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk[_2_] Leon Fisk[_2_] is offline

Default Flex seal durability?

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 08:09:37 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

Has anyone successfully used Flex Seal paste to make replacements for worn
rubber parts?

Yesterday I rebuilt an air-powered 1/2" x 12" belt sander whose rubber
rollers had disintegrated. The larger drive roller is now a short piece of
heater hose on a lathe-turned spindle, crowned with a file, and the smaller
knurled brass end roller was reshod with friction tape which is probably not
a durable solution but is easily redone.

I used Flex Tape to build up the sole of a comfortable old boot and it held
up very well, better than the original dense foam sole, and wasn't any more
slippery on ice.

Amazon reviews on these products are all over the place. The
not-so-good reviews mention failures in line with my experience using
similar products...

I've had the best luck with Goop type glue (also Shoe Goo) for
repairing shoe soles and such. Usually use it to hold down a rubber
patch over the worn area. It's a bit too soft to last very long on its
own. I've wanted to try Barge:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rds=barge+glue

for a long time now but always balk at the price. It's what a lot of
shoe repair shops use...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI