Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garrard 3000 will not start

The only ones with that fuse link I can recall were the ones in the Phillips
early vcrs or those that used the motor also as a transformer to power a low
power amplifier, in both cases the motors tended to run a lot hotter due to
the way they were used, in the former case speed control was via a brake
like a reverse linear motor and hence they got very hot, in the second,
there moor was not exactly efficient as a transformer!

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 13/03/2021 19:55, pinnerite wrote:
I was trying to reconnect an ampolifier inside the case of a long unused
home-made record player. It was on its side and flipped over. Althought
everything looks intact, the motor will now not start. Power is getting
as far as a plug that fits into the motor.

I don't know whether to hang on to it or dump it. Who would want it not
working?

The motors are usually simple shaded pole motors. If you're confident
power is getting to the motor then I suspect there is a thermal fuse that
has aged and let go.

It is often semi-accessible within or on the lop layer of winding.

Whether it is worth further investigation is your call on its value,
sentimental or otherwise.