Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT: 'Self defrosting' freezers?

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 12:44:28 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

snip

So, what experiences of any of the above do the panel have please?

My Liebherr F/F has is frost-free for both the fridge and freezer.

The Liebherr seem to have the higher(est) energy ratings (good) and
look like they have substantial levels of insulation and other thermal
designs?

https://tinyurl.com/ypwz5bxs

There
is a fan which takes air from the freezer compartment and passes it over
the evaporator, which removes water vapour in the air. There is no need
to manually defrost it. As for drying food, all freezers do this to some
extent, but I can't say the Liebherr is any worse in this respect.

Ok. I guess that may be a function of how the foods are packaged? eg,
some things like burgers come in simple cardboard boxes with flaps at
the ends and aren't airtight?

Ice
cubes left in the container in which they are made do not appear to
disappear over time if not used.

;-)

The Liebherr offerings seem to have some of the lowest running costs
(which are generally relatively low, compared with WM or DW etc) but
are often also some of the most expensive so would need to be in use
for some time before you broke even.

https://www.sust-it.net/running-cost...appliances.php
(that's a bit old but ...)

It's not even that they would be the sort of thing that would have
their energy 'rationed', if it ever came to that. ;-)

https://www.sust-it.net/energy-savin...unter-freezers

Cheers, T i m