Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT: 'Self defrosting' freezers?

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 13:58:31 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

I don't actually have space for more than 2 appliances in my kitchen -
dishwasher and fridge. But I really like a small kitchen (3mx2.8m) - but then
there's only me most of the time, and I know many don't.

My mate has a kitchen about the same size as our ground floor and I
think it's pointless. It doesn't bother them as they have a
housekeeper that does most the cooking. ;-)

Just easier to clean
and get things done.

Yup. When helping him with network stuff round the house I've walked
miles and found it all tiring. Again, they don't actually keep it
clean themselves ...

I chose a Beko
for the reason it could cope with low temperatures.

Has there always been the option to get 'cold working' freezers as if
not, how have all the 'std' freezers coped that are out in peoples
(unheated) garages and other outbuildings (I've even seen them just
outside under a simple plastic roof)?

Don't know - maybe luck, operating just within range, or when the temperature
dips the compressor cuts out, but not catastrophically (to the
freezer/refridgerant or the food)?

Yeah, you maybe right. I was just wondering if it was just marketing?

p.s. Does your Beko freezer have a metal or plastic back OOI Rob?

If it is metal, it's not magnetic - looks to be plastic.

Could be ally but if it looks plastic it probably is (and thanks for
looking). I picked up a Which think that referenced those fridges /
freezers that had plastic backs and marked them down for their
additional fire risk (over those with metal backs, however unlikely
the overall risk etc).

May I ask what model your Beko is Rob (when you go down their next
etc).

Cheers, T i m