Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Central Machinery quality?

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 09:45:51 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 12:31:14 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 3/10/2021 5:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Sounds complicated. Compared to mine. Get rid of the gates. and the Y.

Not complicated at all. Why do you think that?

I have a 30 foot hose, with a flared end to fit the machine. Not tools
requires to move from one machine to another.

You on the other hand have a Y with a hose attached to each side. My Y
is capped off on one side. You have 2 gates that get clogged. I "never
ever" get clogs. No gates to open or close.

So I only use one tool at a time, I have no need for a manifold and or
gates.

I've a 2HP Reliant DC with a single 6" inlet connected to a 6" by two 4"
wye. One side of the wye connects to rigid plastic 4" drain pipe with
gates for the shaper, the disk sander, the drum sander
and the TS.

The other side of the wye goes another wye, one side of which connects
via a gate to the bandsaw, the other side goes to another wye, one
branch of which goes to the DJ-20 jointer, and the other to the SCMS. Most of
this is 4" flex black DC hose.

When needed, the 15" planer is moved to the center of the shop and
a 4" hose is connected to inlet used by the jointer, but I've found the
drum sander does many of the jobs the planer was used for.

All metal gates, and I've never had a clogging issue with them.

I'm guessing that you are moving a lot more air at a much faster rate
than I am. That could account for the non-clogging of the gates. I have
no need (or room) for a system as large as yours, so I put up with the
single downside of my set-up.

The advantages of the Y and the 2 gates far outweigh the inconvenience
of the occasional clog.

I think clogs are a function of the design of the gate. Some, I've
seen, the gate doesn't completely move out of the airflow or have a
lip that can hang up larger hunks of stuff. Good gates are very
smooth on the inside with nothing to obstruct stuff flying though
there.