Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Ethanol

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 11/03/2021 20:40, Rod Speed wrote:

Well you did ask.

Yeah, thats what I wanted to know, its in barrels rather than in kegs.

Yes. The keg has a single hole in the end face that is positioned at the
top. The pressure fitting that clamps into that has a dip tube to the
bottom, and a gas feed to the top.

Barrels are used on their side, tilted slightly downhill. The tap fits in
the bottom of the lower end face, then the filling and air admittance hole
is in the middle of the "cylindrical" part, diametrically opposite the
tap. This is sealed with a bung about 50mm diameter, then when serving the
bung has a tapered hole about 15mm diameter in it into which a spile is
hammered. If drinking at home by gravity, you loosen the spile to serve
then knock it back in. In a pub, you use the porous spile once the barrel
is tapped. (This may be replaced overnight by the solid one).

I might detect signs of beer "turning" a few times a year (this does not
make it undrinkable). I only reject a pint once every few years (but I
am fussy about my pubs).

I dont drink in pubs and dont drink commercial beer if I can avoid
that.

I used to brew my own, cheaper but more time consuming.

Thats very arguable. I brew every year or so, massive brewing
run, I have 17 brewing barrels. Takes a couple of days to get
them all started brewing, then a few days to bottle them all.

It would take considerable time to go and get that much beer
from the supermarket tho certainly less time if I did that all in
one massive supermarket run every year or so.

Also, less healthy as you have to check it every day to make sure it's not
going off.

Thats very arguable too given that I always drink one 750ml
bottle every day, half before dinner and half with dinner.
There is some evidence that that level is good for your health.