Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Ethanol

On 11/03/2021 20:40, Rod Speed wrote:

Well you did ask.

Yeah, thats what I wanted to know, its in barrels rather than in kegs.

Yes. The keg has a single hole in the end face that is positioned at the
top. The pressure fitting that clamps into that has a dip tube to the
bottom, and a gas feed to the top.

Barrels are used on their side, tilted slightly downhill. The tap fits
in the bottom of the lower end face, then the filling and air admittance
hole is in the middle of the "cylindrical" part, diametrically opposite
the tap. This is sealed with a bung about 50mm diameter, then when
serving the bung has a tapered hole about 15mm diameter in it into which
a spile is hammered. If drinking at home by gravity, you loosen the
spile to serve then knock it back in. In a pub, you use the porous spile
once the barrel is tapped. (This may be replaced overnight by the solid
one).

I might detect signs of beer "turning" a few times a year (this does
not make it undrinkable). I only reject a pint once every few years
(but I am fussy about my pubs).

I dont drink in pubs and dont drink commercial beer if I can avoid that.

I used to brew my own, cheaper but more time consuming. Also, less
healthy as you have to check it every day to make sure it's not going off.