Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default OT: 'Self defrosting' freezers?

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
A consequence of frost free is it dries its food contents.

Bull****, mine doesnt.

Yes, why should frost-free (periodic heating of the cooling element to melt
any ice that has formed on it) make freezer burn any more or less likely?
Isn't freezer burn dependent on how much (if any) moisture gets in from the
outside, and therefore on how good the door seal is? And on how often you
open the door, letting in fresh, moist air from the room.

One of our freezers uses about 50 W when the motor is running (and near
enough zero when it's not), but every few days there is a sudden burst when
about 700 W is used for a couple of minutes. I presume that's when
frost-free has kicked in to melt any ice on the cooling element. It's
amazing what you can tell from a smartplug that reports power consumption
every few seconds, to be logged and graphed by a suitable utility on a PC.