Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ethanol

In article ,
Custos Custodum wrote:
On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 15:00:25 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Custos Custodum wrote:
Maybe we shouldn't get too fixed on the idea of "dissolving". There
can be no question that ethanol has a detrimental effect on perspex.

I'd be surprised to see Perspex used on a car fuel system. ;-)

My 1963 Mini had a short length of transparent plastic tubing leading
up to the carburettor (not perspex, but I can't remember the details).
Eventually it hardened and fractured.

Oh, indeed. Lots of plastics come in contact with petrol. Even carbs
changed from brass floats to plastic mouldings. But unlikely to be
perspex. That is a pretty old plastic as things go.

However, plenty plastics go hard and fracture without being near alcohol.
Just with ageing.

--
*Great groups from little icons grow *

Dave Plowman London SW