Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] is offline

Default 'Right to repair' law to come in this summer

Radio Man submitted this idea :
Replacing an SMD component would be beyond most people. Even service people
swap out boards.

I fix things but only if the hassle isnt too much.

I'm a bit obsessive about making things work, or work for me, better
than they were originally designed to do.

Leaving that aside, if something fails, I try to ensure it will not
fail again with the same fault. Our washing / drier must be almost 10
years old now, it first failed at just over 12 months old and outside
its warranty. It's motherboard had gone faulty. A very new design,
there was no information I could find on a possible repair, the only
option was repair the m/b or replace it. I tracked it down to a failed
electrolytic, mounted a hot resistor and a heatsink, the cap had begun
to swell and was a low temperature rating. I replaced it for 10p with a
higher temperature rated version and it has been fine since - I also
posted the fix on the whitegoods site, for the benefit of others with
the same issue. As a result I received lots of thanks from others who
had suffered the same failure.

Next the drier failed. A simple bi-metal overheat trip, which once trip
could not (as designed) be reset. The manufacturers fix was a complete
replacement heater/condenser section. A tiny hole drilled in the case
of the trip, allowed that to be reset with a watch makers screwdriver.

We have not used the drier for many years though, instead we line dry
using a fan and dehumidifier system, I set up in the utility.