Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Chopping kindling on hard standing - axe protector?

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 13:34:55 +0000, David wrote:

Further to the tinkering with my log burner I think that although it
will burn the big bits that I have, it may need more small bits to get
going and up to temperature quickly.

My log store (builder's bag) is under cover on hard standing and I no
longer have a section of trunk as a chopping base.

I see that you can buy a length of trunk for £20-£40 on line but I would
prefer something more discreet, ad I am likely to be splitting small
chunks into kindling using a hand axe and club hammer.
In the longer term I could possibly ask my wood supplier if they could
include a chopping block in the next load but that might be next Winter.

A solid block of rubber about 12" x 12" x 2" would seem to fit the
requirement for a solid base, edge protection for the axe, and easy
stowing when not in use.

My search skills, as usual, aren't getting me the results that I want.

Any suggestions and lateral thinking most welcome.

Reporting back.

I found the pallet thing which the wood burner was delivered on, hidden
away.
That does the job adequately (shifts around but keeps the axe away from
the hard standing).

The good bit is that splitting the wood down a little further has made a
big difference to the speed that the stove gets up to temperature.
Once the coals are red hot the bigger bits burn well.

I assume the slow starting was due to the ratio of volume to surface area
- not enough surface area for the fire to catch well.
Also (see why wooden beams don't burn as fast as you would expect in a
house fire) the carbonisation of the surface can retard the spread of the
fire.

Anyway, worth doing.

Although it is getting towards the end of the log burning season and the
log pile is quite small now.

Cheers

Dave R