Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default OT: 'Self defrosting' freezers?

On 11 Mar 2021 at 09:57:23 GMT, "T i m" wrote:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 09:06:09 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

We have the fridge and freezer under the counter opposite the sink
(galley kitchen). Didn't they call it the 'Magic triangle'? All very
efficient / convenient for most food / hot beverage production. I did
think of moving the fridge out of the kitchen and to where the
(defunked) tumble dryer is, next door in the lobby ... but I'm not
sure that even those few paces will be tolerable, after a fridge has
been under counter for 40 years, even though it might be a bit more
convenient being higher? I could try it I guess and I can always put
it back if it doesn't 'work'.

I don't actually have space for more than 2 appliances in my kitchen -
dishwasher and fridge. But I really like a small kitchen (3mx2.8m) - but then
there's only me most of the time, and I know many don't. Just easier to clean
and get things done.

I chose a Beko
for the reason it could cope with low temperatures.

Has there always been the option to get 'cold working' freezers as if
not, how have all the 'std' freezers coped that are out in peoples
(unheated) garages and other outbuildings (I've even seen them just
outside under a simple plastic roof)?

Don't know - maybe luck, operating just within range, or when the temperature
dips the compressor cuts out, but not catastrophically (to the
freezer/refridgerant or the food)?

p.s. Does your Beko freezer have a metal or plastic back OOI Rob?

If it is metal, it's not magnetic - looks to be plastic.

--
Cheers, Rob