Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default OT: 'Self defrosting' freezers?

On 11/03/2021 12:11, RJH wrote:
On 11 Mar 2021 at 12:00:01 GMT, "Fredxx" wrote:

On 11/03/2021 09:10, RJH wrote:
On 11 Mar 2021 at 00:08:28 GMT, ""Rod Speed""
wrote:

"Scribbles" wrote in message

So is self defrosting one of those 'must have' features or just 'ok
when it works'?

The additional question of spending more on something that has a
better energy rating takes us into the unknown ... how long it might
last over the extra cost and any potential savings on running costs
and could be impacted by the whole 'self defrosting' thing. What
happens when that stops working ... is it then worse than a non
self-defrosting model?

Self-defrosting is a Must Have as far as I am concerned.

I much prefer frost free.

Most people have a particular domestic task they absolutely loathe
and detest; for me, that task is defrosting fridges and freezers.

Me too, second only to washing clothes etc by hand down the river.

Put simply, life's too short for all that faff and puddles of water.

My current freezer is an under the counter AEC model,

Mine are the biggest Fisher and Paykel frost free pigeon pair.

Vastly more convenient than the under counter manual
defrost pair of bar fridge sized freezers with fixed shelves.
The freezer has massive roll out drawers and for some
reason you dont get any ice buildup on the contents
at all which is the other massive bonus with frost free.

Ah, I didn't know about the ice building up on food. That does happen for
some
reason on bread in particular in my (non-FF freezer) - does a frost free
stop
that happening?

A consequence of frost free is it dries its food contents. That water
comes from somewhere, and it generally from outside or the food. Chicken
is one thing I also change texture after being frozen in a frost free
freezer.

Ah, interesting, thanks. It would help if I wrapped things up more
thoroughly.

about 8 years old and A-rated. Apart from the
time I stupidly left the door open overnight,

Not possible with my latest freezer, it beeps if you do that.

After my door open accident I bought a digital thermometer with an alarm -
also make sure the freezer's operating within range (-18-22C).

Perhaps I ought to get one! And one for the fridge.

The one I've got is a clone of this:

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/hygiplas-f...ith-alarm/f314

I paid a lot less than that. I taped the wire for the sensor between the body
and door, and draped the sensor in the middle of the freezer. Not especially
elegant but seems to work.

Thanks for the link. I will investigate. This would be for a fridge that
isn't mine, but one I seem to leave accidentally leave open on a regular
basis!

It probably doesn't help that mine has a semi-latched door with a
positive close mechanism, rather than just the normal passive magnetic
strip.