Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scribbles Scribbles is offline

Default OT: 'Self defrosting' freezers?

On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 9:06:15 AM UTC, RJH wrote:

?....Put simply, life's too short for all that
faff and puddles of water.

(Snip)

I really don't see why. The only time I've needed to defrost my (Beko) freezer
in 10 years was when I left the door open accidentally. It's not exactly hard
work, leaving a bowl in the bottom of the freezer, with a towel underneath.
And it helped with my poor food-rotation management ;-)

Why? Because, like I said, I loathe defrosting and, in the days before I discovered frost-free appliances, would simply ignore the task until so much ice - several inches - had built up that the doors wouldn't close. A bowl in the fridge and towels, etc around and under it never succeeded in containing all the mel****er. (I realise this says more about me than about the fridge/freezers but let's not go there).

On energy, it'd be useful if you can keep it somewhere cool. Mine's in a cellar, so it does save the cost of having to cool it that extra 10-15C.

Agreed - which is why, as soon as I have the grant of probate (application made 13 months ago & still waiting) on my late husband's estate and, thus, access to the funds put aside for the purpose, the kitchen will be extended and there will be space for the freezer.