Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim...[_2_] tim...[_2_] is offline

Default 'Right to repair' law to come in this summer

On 10/03/2021 10:40, Tim+ wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56340077

Will this make any practical difference? If an SMD integrated circuit
goes wrong in a TV, will making the SMD itself available make the TV
"more repairable"? How much will it cost? How much would the complete
circuit board with SMD already fitted cost? Isn't the latter what's done
at present? It seems to me the manufacturers will just charge what they
see fit for the replacement part, no doubt with an exorbitant P&P to
cover "administrative costs".

On the down side I think it might just put prices up and stifle
innovation
but on the up side, it could lead to products designed around more
€śgeneric€ť components rather than custom ones. This would reduce the cost
of providing a spares service.

It already has done that in the car industry - where pattern parts are de
jure...

All that has happened is that the price of new cars and service labour has
increased, as a result.

The consumer hasn't really won

this isn't about the consumer

it's about the environment

and "protecting" the environment always puts up costs

please, no discussion about where it's worthwhile or not