Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default 'Right to repair' law to come in this summer

On 10/03/2021 21:38, Rod Speed wrote:

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 10:59, Nick Odell wrote:
On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 10:50:21 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 10:40:22 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56340077

Will this make any practical difference? If an SMD integrated circuit
goes wrong in a TV, will making the SMD itself available make the TV
"more repairable"? How much will it cost? How much would the complete
circuit board with SMD already fitted cost? Isn't the latter what's
done at present? It seems to me the manufacturers will just charge
what
they see fit for the replacement part, no doubt with an exorbitant
P&P
to cover "administrative costs".

On the down side I think it might just put prices up and stifle
innovation but on the up side, it could lead to products designed
around
more €śgeneric€ť components rather than custom ones.Â* This would reduce
the cost of providing a spares service.

Would be nice, but I remain sceptical.

I wonder how Apple will respond ?

It might be amusing if they decided to do a Facebook vs. Australia job
and refuse to sell their fruity products on the eastern side of the
Atlantic.

Which is why we should enact any legislation together with the EU, so
Apple couldn't afford to do a 'Facebook'.

It was legislation that got facebook to do that.

Against a small population. They might treat Europe differently with
nearly 2 orders of magnitude higher population.