Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default OT: 'Self defrosting' freezers?

On 10 Mar 2021 at 21:43:43 GMT, "Scribbles"
wrote:

So is self defrosting one of those 'must have' features or just 'ok
when it works'?

The additional question of spending more on something that has a
better energy rating takes us into the unknown ... how long it might
last over the extra cost and any potential savings on running costs
and could be impacted by the whole 'self defrosting' thing. What
happens when that stops working ... is it then worse than a non
self-defrosting model?

Self-defrosting is a Must Have as far as I am concerned. Most people have a
particular domestic task they absolutely loathe and detest; for me, that task
is defrosting fridges and freezers. Put simply, life's too short for all that
faff and puddles of water.

I really don't see why. The only time I've needed to defrost my (Beko) freezer
in 10 years was when I left the door open accidentally. It's not exactly hard
work, leaving a bowl in the bottom of the freezer, with a towel underneath.
And it helped with my poor food-rotation management ;-)

On energy, it'd be useful if you can keep it somewhere cool. Mine's in a
cellar, so it does save the cost of having to cool it that extra 10-15C.
Although you do lose the convenience of easy access of course. I chose a Beko
for the reason it could cope with low temperatures.

--
Cheers, Rob