Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default 'Right to repair' law to come in this summer

Tricky Dicky wrote

We tend to buy mainly Bosch appliances one of the reasons
being the availability of spare parts. Their website has nice
exploded diagrams of all their appliances with all the parts
clearly listed and so far I have always been able to source
any required part without restriction.

Problem is that particularly with their dishwasher, the bulk of
what needs to be replaced is the fancy integrated pump, heater
etc which costs more than a working full bosch dishwasher.

The only thing you cannot get are the service manuals
and I hope the right to repair will make them available,

Yeah, that would be handy. I only buy new
laptops that have full service manuals available.

then again making them only available to €śtrained professionals€ť
is another way of cashing in by offering repair courses.

Some years back we owned a series of Nissan cars and
they used to sell the official workshop manuals and I got
one which was the size of a telephone book. It was OK
for a lot of the standard jobs but you soon got into jobs
that needed this or that service tool.

I did that with my VW Beetle and when I needed to replace
one of the front wheel bearings, asked the dealer who I had
got the new bearing from for a loan of the service tool that
the workshop manual said was needed. He said they didnt
bother with it and they just bashed it with a big hammer.
That worked fine. They were still doing full engine rebuilds
at that time when any car, not just VWs failed the emission
test, pre computers in cars.

Whereas a Haynes manual might recommend
using a Castrol grease tin to drift in a bearing,
no such chance with the official manual.

Forget what the Haynes manual said
about that with the Beetle wheel bearing.