Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scribbles Scribbles is offline

Default OT: 'Self defrosting' freezers?

So is self defrosting one of those 'must have' features or just 'ok
when it works'?

The additional question of spending more on something that has a
better energy rating takes us into the unknown ... how long it might
last over the extra cost and any potential savings on running costs
and could be impacted by the whole 'self defrosting' thing. What
happens when that stops working ... is it then worse than a non
self-defrosting model?

Self-defrosting is a Must Have as far as I am concerned. Most people have a particular domestic task they absolutely loathe and detest; for me, that task is defrosting fridges and freezers. Put simply, life's too short for all that faff and puddles of water.

My current freezer is an under the counter AEC model, about 8 years old and A-rated. Apart from the time I stupidly left the door open overnight, it's never given me a moment's bother. Then, I was obliged to empty and unplug it while it completely defrosted and the temperature control mechanism reset itself. (It's one way to get to know the neighbours. "Er, hello. I live at number 94. I don't suppose you have room in your freezer for 5 litres of tomato soup and a couple of steak pies overnight, by any chance?")

If I use the fast-freeze button, I set an alarm on my phone to remind me to turn it off at the appropriate time because the green light which is supposed to remind me that fast-freeze is on is almost invisible in daylight and dim as a Toch H lamp in the dark. I only use fast-freeze when putting in a big batch of fresh stuff to freeze from scratch. Already-frozen items come home from the shops in a cool bag or box and get put straight in the freezer drawers without any thawing.

I've never done a serious analysis of what it's costing to run but in all honesty, I don't think the costs outweigh the convenience of having an efficient piece of kit which pretty much looks after itself.

Cold temperature working could be relevant, as could the fast freeze
feature (when doing a big frozen shop).

Currently, due to shortage of kitchen space, my freezer is living in the conservatory where the temperature has been known to drop as low as 5C on winter nights and rise into the high 30s and beyond on summer days. According to the user handbook, its lowest recommended environmental temperature for optimal performance is 10C. With luck, the space problem will be resolved in the next few months and the freezer can come into the more moderate climate of the kitchen before any damage is done. I think the only models currently sold as suitable for use in sheds, garages or other cold environments are made by Beko.

HTH