Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Ethanol

On 07/03/2021 17:39, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Mar 2021 07:11:39 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 21:59:29 +0000, newshound
wrote:

On 04/03/2021 19:06, Rod Speed wrote:

No bugs like an ethanol water mix.

I was going to say that too, then I realised that I don't actually know
what oxidises it to acetic acid. I assume that is mediated by some
biological activity.

AIUI wine is oxidised to acetic acid by bacteria, but above a certain
strength (e.g. sherry or stronger), the bacteria are either killed or
inactivated, I don't know which, so the beverages can be stored without
special precautions to exclude air.

One of the homebrew forums I used had a subsection for making vinegar.

Seems to be a bit harder than you'd imagine. Which supports my personal
experience of never once accidentally making it when making beer and
wine.

Yeah, I havent either. Tho a mate of mine has made a couple of
bad batches of beer where it got infected and was undrinkable.

It certainly happens regularly to "real ale" stored in pubs.