Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default 'Right to repair' law to come in this summer

On 10/03/2021 13:17, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 12:38:35 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 10/03/2021 10:46, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 10 Mar 2021 at 10:26:26 GMT, "John Walliker"
wrote:

On Wednesday, 10 March 2021 at 09:43:52 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 10/03/2021 08:49, Jeff Layman wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56340077

Will this make any practical difference?
Hopefully.

Apple needs to change its ways.

In contrast, Dell provide detailed downloadable service manuals for
their computers.
It is also often possible to buy spare parts, either direct from Dell
or from places like eBay.

The BBC need to do some explaining. I have a Samsung TV which used to
support iPlayer but this capability was removed, apparently at the
request of the BBC, because its performance was not adequate. I was
perfectly happy to accept occasional crashes in preference to not
having it at all. (I know there are other ways...)

John

It would be interesting if all software sellers were required to
support Windows 95 and 16MB of RAM.

That would depend on how long a manufacturer would be required to
provide spare parts.

Remind us, when was the last copy of Windows 95 sold?

I'd bet there are still some systems somewhere limping along on a copy.

I agree, but how long would you expect a hardware manufacturer to carry
spares? 10 years, 20 years 30 years?

I expect it will be 6 years, as it would be consistent with legal
claims. It would be a start.

One issue would be repair manuals containing proprietary information.

Another is that the importer is deemed to be the manufacturer, they come
and go making a mockery of the proposed legislation.