Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Central Machinery quality?

On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 08:59:38 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 3/8/2021 1:12 PM, Jack wrote:
On 3/8/2021 1:47 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/8/2021 11:20 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Jack writes:
On 3/6/2021 10:59 AM, Leon wrote:

Hummmm our local store must have not gotten the message.* I got my HF
gloves at the old regular price last year.* But yeah, looking at
the web
site they have tippled in price.
Have you priced lumber lately?

Just went to HD and 2x4x8 is almost $7. Oak, Maple and cherry around
$20
a board foot, walnut $32/ft.

What woodworker buys hardwoods from HD or Lowes?** Crappy lumber
priced by the linear foot.** Much rather buy by the board foot
at a real lumber yard with a much wider (pun intended) selection.

I'm hoping Maple, cherry around $20 a board foot was a type-o.* Same
for walnut.

Not a typo, I posted the link to my HD store, did you look?

No, because I thought it was a type-o. m ;~)
Those home centers are expensive but wow I had not checked lately.

Hardwood Products, http://hwp.us/
And Clark's Hardwood Lumber, https://www.clarkshardwood.com/

The prices I mentioned elsewhere in this thread are what I paid about 4
weeks ago for white oak.

I typically do not buy maple or cherry although they do have a large
supply.

I wouldn't mind a link to where you buy your #1 select maple or cherry
for half that price. Not saying I don't believe you but it's interesting
for sure. I myself had NO idea lumber has gotten this expensive.

Yes, the demand, during Covid has gone bonkers. My wife and I went into
contract last September to have a new home built. About 2 weeks after
giving earnest money, signing the contract, and picking all the colors,
and options the builder pulled out of the contract. They claimed that
they could not guarantee the price we agreed up on because of the prices
going up on materials and simply trying to find the materials.
Building in the Houston area is going crazy and new home prices and been
changing weekly some times twice a week.

They're building like crazy here. The demand has to have a lot to do
with it, too. Don't worry though, the dollar is about to tank. The
Canadian dollar will soon be at par again. The Democrats will love
it. The US dollar is racist anyway.

Does this stuff even grow in Texas?* I thought live oak, whatever that
is, is what was growing down there.* They used that for boat hulls in
the distant past, to stop canon balls, right.

Live oak is a white Oak in most if not all cases. Whaaat?
there are many types of Oaks that are considered Live Oak.

I believe Live Oak is a bit of a generic term for a tree that is not
considered evergreen but is almost evergreen.
Live Oak trees are called such because they retain their leaves year
round except for a week or two. Leaves, fall when the new leaves come
out in the Spring. Sooooo If you have Live Oak trees in your yard you
rake leaves in April, when they fall. And you do rake them if you
expect your grass to grow.

Same with the fall, fall. You do get some help blowing them around
over the winter but if left on the lawn, you won't have one in the
spring. If you at least mow (chop them up), the grass won't die.

The leaves almost do not break down at all,
they are tough and will blanket your yard all summer long.
Personally I do not like them in my yard. Our builder, 10 years ago,
put Live Oaks in all the new build yards. We yanked ours out
immediately and replaced with Red Oak. Our yard is almost the only yard
that has leaves in the yard in the fall. All other trees in our
neighborhood are just now beginning to show signs of loosing their leaves.

There was no point in replanting. Your leaves go in your yard will
pollute theirs in the fall and theirs in yours in the spring. Double
whammy

I only got into this because I saw a local guy on YouTube cutting up oak
and cherry for firewood, and he OWNS a nice sawmill... He said he only
mills hardwood 21" and over for lumber. I think he got a zillion folks
telling him he was a fool. He owns a 100 acres of woods, so he has a lot
of raw product for lumber and firewood. He sells firewood, and I'll bet
sooner or later he'll be selling lots of lumber, and little firewood,
and sooner than later..

Buy the firewood. Become a turner.