Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Central Machinery quality?

On Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at 9:59:47 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/8/2021 1:12 PM, Jack wrote:
On 3/8/2021 1:47 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/8/2021 11:20 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Jack writes:
On 3/6/2021 10:59 AM, Leon wrote:

Hummmm our local store must have not gotten the message. I got my HF
gloves at the old regular price last year. But yeah, looking at
the web
site they have tippled in price.
Have you priced lumber lately?

Just went to HD and 2x4x8 is almost $7. Oak, Maple and cherry around
$20
a board foot, walnut $32/ft.

What woodworker buys hardwoods from HD or Lowes? Crappy lumber
priced by the linear foot. Much rather buy by the board foot
at a real lumber yard with a much wider (pun intended) selection.

I'm hoping Maple, cherry around $20 a board foot was a type-o. Same
for walnut.

Not a typo, I posted the link to my HD store, did you look?

No, because I thought it was a type-o. m ;~)
Those home centers are expensive but wow I had not checked lately.

....and it's not just the price.

I looked at some 1 x 3 clear pine for trim in the bathroom I'm redoing. I looked
at HD and Lowes (for convenience). It wasn't the price that was the problem,
it was the quality. The only differences between their S-shaped, banged up,
common pine and their S-shaped, banged up, select pine was the price and
lack of knots. Pure crap and completely unusable.

I went to a local sash and door retailer. Paid the same price for boards that
basically needed to be cut to length, finished and installed. They can't be selling
crap to their contractors or in-house installers and stay in business. The stuff
has to be ready to use right off the shelf and it was.