Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Best lubricant for outdoor padlock

"Bod" wrote in message
On 09/03/2021 15:39, wrote:
On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 20:25:07 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 16:53:18 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 05:40:26 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"TimR" wrote in message
On Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 6:24:39 PM UTC-5, Jim Yanik wrote:
Mys Terry wrote in
:
On 7 Mar 2006 12:23:40 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Mys Terry wrote in
:

On 6 Mar 2006 17:13:26 -0800, wrote:

Daniel Prince wrote:
In your opinion, what is the best lubricant for an outdoor
padlock?
I live in a humid area about six miles from the ocean. Thank
you
in
advance for all replies.

According to the "master's"

http://www.masterlock.com/general/fa...dservice.shtml

I have a few padlocks on my sailboat, which is in a salt water
environment. I buy the rubber covered padlocks that include a
cap
over
the keyhole. I force marine grease (not the same as automotive
grease)
into the keyhole and the holes for the shackle. They last a few
years
this way. I have never had a problem opening locks treated in
this
manner, even when the temps are in the 20's.

dry graphite works well in all temps.

But doesn't do squat to protect a padlock from salt laden moist
air.

He was looking for a LUBRICANT,not a corrosion protectant.

In my experience, graphite in a humid environment is a disaster.

Thats not mine.

Yes, it lubricates well when dry, but then it becomes
mud and then cakes and will absolutely jam a lock.

Never seen anything like that happen.

My preference would be STP, but just a tiny bit on a toothpick.

Mine is graphite because it doesnt trap dirt.

I use graphite in an alcohol carrier on the lock on the boat
ramp chain that gets dipped in salt water occasionally and
rain may be the best thing that happens to it.
It seems to just keep going.

I use graphite in a little plastic squeeze bottle thing
with a spout about 2" long which makes it very easy
to squirt into locks.

This stuff is in a spray can with a tube that lets you really get it
in a little hole.

So is mine but you just squeeze the sides of the little plastic bottle.

This isn't your ten buck Master Lock tho.
I think we pay about $150 for them.

Mine is a big brass padlock I got from a garage/yard sale
that I use on the heavy chain to chain the trailer to the house.
No point in an expensive padlock given that its easy to use a
cordless angle grinder on the chain or padlock hasp.

I have also used it on the front door lock and my neighbour has
borrowed
it to use on theirs. Both of those only used once, fine ever since.

This is just expensive because you can't get keys made for it
anywhere. They are registered, signature only. This is not a regular
key. It is flat with drilled holes in the side.
(Mul T Lock NG series)

If someone cut the lock off and launched their boat, they might not
have a truck when they got back.
It gets pretty expensive retrieving them from the impound lot.

Dont have that problem when stealing a trailer.

That might get you shot here.

Good grief! are you legally allowed to shoot someone for stealing
something?

In some US states you are.