Posted to rec.woodworking
knuttle knuttle is offline

Default Central Machinery quality?

On 3/9/2021 8:32 AM, Jack wrote:
but I personally like the looks of varnished pine for all my stands and
work benches. Furniture grade cabinets in a workshop just look wrong. I
would not want an oak or cherry lathe stand, or BS stand. Expensive
hardwood looks out of place in a shop, to me. The first thing I built in
my shop was a work bench. Made it out of #4 pine sheathing they sold
cheap for roofs. Still looks great 50 years later and all the drawers
work as good as the day I built it. I learned a ton building it as well,
and everything a built subsequently benefited from doing it.

Many years ago I made a workbench out of common 2X4's and plywood.

I varnished the whole thing. It looks as good to day as it did when I
finished, no considering a the nicks,etc.

The varnish is holding up quite well and does not have that dingy look
of old paint.

I have many of my tools on planks for portability. each has been
varnished. (when needed I clamp the plank to the work bench.)

If I were building a new work table, I would use varnish again.