Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Central Machinery quality?

On 3/9/2021 7:32 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/8/2021 1:56 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/8/2021 11:52 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/8/2021 11:02 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/8/2021 9:04 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/6/2021 10:51 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/5/2021 3:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...al%20machinery

They even carry leg sets. ;-)

https://www.harborfreight.com/29-inc...and-95128.html

Well what could go wrong with a steel stand?Â* I might buy one of
those if I needed one.Â* ;~)

Personally you couldn't give me one of those stands.
If you're a woodworker, particularly a hobbyist with limited space,
why not build your own?

Not be argumentative but the materials to build one, coupled with
the time to make it is probably going to cost me more than the HF
model.

Ya gets what you pay for. If you can't afford a few construction
grade 2x's to build a tool stand/cabinet, then you probably can't
afford to do much in your shop other than stare at your tools.

Quite the contrary.Â* As I tell my customers, don't worry about the
materials cost, it is the labor that is expensive.Â* If you want a
premium wood vs. stained red oak, the price difference in the finished
product will not be that much percentage wise.

You mentioned the material cost and time to build one, so you are being
argumentative, with yourself.

Just saying I value my time. If I can buy a premade stand, some
assembly required, over designing, milling/cutting wood, and gluing. I
might go with the steel stand.

I understand a commercial shop might have a lots of space, and little
time to waste not producing money items, but that applies to few, if
any in this newsgroup.

Well I am not production 100% of the time but still try not to spend
my building time on things that eat into money making time.Â* I get
what you are saying but I would build the stand with furniture grade
materials vs, construction grade materials.Â* I would end up milling
the 2x's stock into 1x.Â* And I would prefer a hardwood vs, spruce,
pine, or fir.

Not to be argumentative, but I personally like the looks of varnished
pine for all my stands and work benches. Furniture grade cabinets in a
workshop just look wrong. I would not want an oak or cherry lathe stand,
or BS stand. Expensive hardwood looks out of place in a shop, to me. The
first thing I built in my shop was a work bench. Made it out of #4 pine
sheathing they sold cheap for roofs. Still looks great 50 years later
and all the drawers work as good as the day I built it. I learned a ton
building it as well, and everything a built subsequently benefited from
doing it.

Perhaps I should have said furniture style stands and cabinets.
Although....
My shop built cabinets are built like the cabinets/furniture in my home.
Just cheaper wood, like paint grade maple oe birch plywood. And
poplar for the solid wood parts. Still Baltic birch 1/2" plywood for
the drawers.

But I did build a tool chest many years ago, early 2000's, out of paint
grade ply and A rustic oak...that I got from a saw mill.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...7622991960362/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...7622991960362/

To each their own I reckon.

Anyway hobbyist like pervade this group are not earning a living with
their shop, they are in it for the enjoyment. From what I read here,
most would benefit a good deal by building their own stuff rather than
buying cheap ass metal junk, and they could enjoy their work forever.

40 years ago this was a hobby. Then it became therapy, I has some high
stress jobs/positions. At 40 I retired from the daily go to work
routine but stayed busy. Then I worked with a dear friend, 18 years my
senior, doing work to ready homes for resale.

Some where during all of this time off I began getting requests, for the
past 25 years, and I have lost count and forgotten what I have built for
customers. Absolutely not a living but had I done any advertising I
would have been overwhelmed. I am strictly word of mouth and I get
calls from customers that have seen what I have built from customers
that have seen what I have built from customers that have seen what I
have built, from a customer that has seen what I have built.
I pretty much refuse to take a job unless the customer comes to our home
to see my work or tells me that they have seen what I have done by so
and so. Then I know that they are serious about having me design and
build for them.

Relatively recent stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...57630857421932

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...57622991960362

Check out this piece of oak I grabbed up quickly. 1x8 S4S 9' long. And
the whole board looks like this.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...7622991960362/

Regardless, cheap metal stands like they sell at HF suck, imnsho.