Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Central Machinery quality?

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 18:03:40 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 3/8/2021 11:21 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
knuttle writes:

like Lyndon Johnson "War On Poverty" did in the 50 years ago. Remember=20
how successful that democrat policy was?

Yes, I do remember. It was quite successful in bringing large numbers
of Americans out of poverty.

But how many did it raise out of poverty in such a manner than they
became self-supporting, productive members of society vs. those "raised"
out of poverty by increased government handouts which continued to
increase to maintain the fallacy that they are out of poverty?

I believe that there is a place for welfare but there must be a
concurrent effort to get people off the dole and become productive.
That doesn't appear to be in the politicians agenda. Keep them
beholden, keep them voting (for me) seems to be the goal.

The bright line test for eligibility for welfare is in itself a
deterrent to self sufficiency. They put the people on welfare and then
cut them off completely when they get $XXXX in income. Would it not
incentivize the majority to GRADUALLY trim back the welfare payments as
they gain self-sufficiency to encourage them to earn more without fear
of losing all their government support at once.

All they've done is create generations wholly dependent on the dole with
little interest in getting ahead. "I need more money, send the baby
daddy around to impregnate me and let's hope for twins this time!"

Just to keep it somewhat on topic, government's handling of this makes
me want to grab a 2 x and lay it up along someone's head!

I've always felt that the system should be set up so that you're
_always_ better off if you work.