Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Central Machinery quality?

On 3/8/2021 11:39 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/8/2021 9:26 AM, Jack wrote:

Just went to HD and 2x4x8 is almost $7. Oak, Maple and cherry around
$20 a board foot, walnut $32/ft.

I do not buy hardwoods from HD, Lowes, or the like.
But yes some lumber has increased in price drastically.
I have seen a price increase in hardwood veneered plywoods, but not a
great increase.Â* I have not seen a price increase with 1/2" Baltic birch
plywood, 5x5.Â* Still just $22.95.
I have not seen a price increase with solid red oak, but white oak is
almost double red oak prices.Â* White oak used to be about 25% more
expensive than red oak.

I probably should have noted that my HD only sells premium hard wood. #1
clear select. Lumber yards, if you have any left near you sell multiple
grades and lower prices. Here is where I got my HD prices today:

https://tinyurl.com/kf89zc87

or if you must:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-C...tialmax&NCNI-5

Oak, Maple, Cherry and Walnut grow like weeds in PA. At these prices the
state should be bald in the near future. I don't know what lumber yards
charge for this stuff, all the ones that used to surround me have
closed, along with tons of hardware stores.

I wouldn't doubt our commie government will soon require a government
license to buy, grow, cut, use or burn any sort of wood and be a union
member with papers verifying you had your shots before even thinking
about it.

Several years ago I bought an Oak board for a door I was making and it
cost $4.something a foot.Â* The cashier advised me the price was per
foot, not for the whole board, which was 14 ft long.Â* I knew that but
apparently lots of people thought the price marked was per board, not
per foot...

So red oak S4S 1 x 8 is about $3.65 per LF now.
White Oak S4S 1 x 10, 25% wider than the
1 x 8 mentioned above is $6.95 per LF.

Apples to apples, the red and white oak use to only differ about $1. per
LF in 1x8 a few years ago.Â* About double that difference now.

Wonder how they like it now?

The two giant Oak tree's in my front yard are starting to look
delicious...

With the USSA $30+ TRILLION in dept, and a communist administration,
you best stock up on commodities, cause cash is soon to be worthless....

--
Jack