Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT - Ice Cream and Toilet Supply Lines

On Sunday, March 7, 2021 at 11:19:15 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/6/2021 8:45 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 06 Mar 2021 16:36:56 -0500, Michael Trew
wrote:

On 3/6/2021 2:31 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Since I'm sprucing up the bathroom, I figured I might as well get a nice new
supply line for the toilet.

Remember when a half gallon of ice cream suddenly shrunk to 1.75 qts and even 1.5 qts for some brands? Apparently the plumbing industry took notice.

Here's my old 12" supply line compared to the new 12" supply line.

https://i.imgur.com/QYEh8I9.jpg

Guess how much more supply line I need to tighten up the connection?

Same as the 2"X4" studs in 100+ year old homes, as compared to the
1.5"X3.5" "2X4" lumber of today.

Well, there is a reason for that but...

Economics. A old friend had an old home that he was doing some
modifications on. His wall studs were OAK 2x4, actual size. He had to
take that into consideration when cutting nailing AND matching up wall
thickness.

My daughter's 86 YO house has full size studs, posts, beams, joists, etc.
Via various upgrades/renovations it also has nominal sized studs, beams,
post, joists, etc.

Thing is, it's not like they had Tom Silva-like crews doing the work. The
face of the various structural members are rarely on the same plane.

It's like they didn't even try, even with some of the original 1935
structure. Anything done after that was as if they said "Well, it wasn't
even before we got here so we don't have to worry about making it
even either."

The same holds for the wiring and plumbing. "They did sloppy work,
no need for me to try and be neat."