Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Edge Sanding

On Sunday, March 7, 2021 at 11:08:58 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/6/2021 6:14 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 11:56:18 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
So, I have built hundreds of cabinet doors. AND edge sanding is a RPIA.
It is time consuming and relatively inaccurate at best.

So 10 or so years ago I decided a stationary edge sander might be the
solution. And then I reconsidered, given the price and all. So up
until the day before yesterday I continued to edge sand with my hand
held sander. In fact I edge sanded 29 white oak kitchen cabinet doors
on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Going back about 6 months I learned that, wait for it, wait, wait,
Festool has come out with an edge sanding attachment for their newest
ROS 125 sander.

Woah.... Smaller than a stationary edge sander, and, well that is about
it. Not available in the U.S. until some time in October. And yet I
did not see the attachment become relatively available until a week or
so ago. So I started searching to buy this attachment. Amazon,
Woodcraft, all the normal stockers of Festool had it in stock. Price
$99. What??? What is the catch? The catch is that it only fits one of
two brand new Festool Sanders. OK so which ones. Ah, the new corded
one and the battery operated one.
The corded one is $205. The ETS 125 REQ-Plus.

Soooo a corded Festool 5" ROS and edge guide for $304.00??? Yup that
is it.

So I proceed to buy both items and come to a scree4ching halt. No one
has the sander in stock and the earliest expected delivery date is late
May. ;~(

I searched on line for 3 days and no luck untillllll, I finished edge
sanding 29 cabinet doors. and the next morning I decided to check
a local hard wood dealer in the down town Houston area. I thought maybe
they will have the sander and if they do I can buy the attachment
anywhere. So call, Yes, Steve says that they have 2 of that particular
sander in stock and I tell him I am on my way. Oh! One more thing
Steve, do you have the edge sander attachment? YES! he says, and I'm
already out the door.

So Steve works for a hardwood dealer that is not known to be the least
expensive supplier in town but they have been around forever, well they
looked old 40 years ago and Steve was there 40 years ago too. He seemed
much younger then. So On the way to the lumber yard I was thinking.
Thank goodness for Festool pricing policy, every one sells for the same
price. And indeed Steve sold me the combination of tools for exactly
what every one was selling the tools for. Whew!

So I am back home and begin attaching the attachment to the sander and
calibrating the 90 degree setting and all is well. I actually remove
the sander from the attachment via 2 5mm hex head bolts, and then
reattach. I wanted to see if the calibration remained accurate, Yes!

Then on to testing. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
Shockingly easy, fast, great results!!!

Soooo this pic is of a scrap piece of 3/4" white oak plywood. It's hat
you would expect the factory edge to look like.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

Then about 5 seconds of sanding with the new edge sander with 180 grit
paper.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

And is the edge still square? YES!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

And best of all, that edge is as smooth as glass with sharp corners.

If you ever considered a Festool sander, this one is relatively
inexpensive, $205.00 and includes the new reusable style dust collector
bag, and Systainer. And for $99.00 more you have a very very good edge
sander.

I was thinking about this device while I was edge sanding the 1-by flat trim
that I'm putting in my bathroom.

So what ever you are sanding, it needs to have a bit of depth, meaning a
larg enough surface for the pad on the attachment to register against
and ride on.

BUT The attachment has a hard and soft setting. The hard setting holds
the angle setting rigidly. Then there is a soft setting that allows the
sander to flex a bit with the contour of the surface. I am not totally
what application that would be good for but might asst with easing the
edges. MAYBE!!!

Easing the edge is really not a big deal, I could do that all day by
hand or with a finish sander. A couple of passes full length with a
finish sander or the same with a piece of 180 wrapped around a sanding
block does it for me.

Do you think the Big Green F will offer an attachment for the edge sander so
that it not only sands the edge square but also eases the sharp edge just a
little. ;-)

Easing the edge is really not a big deal, I could do that all day by
hand or with a finish sander. A couple of passes full length with a
finish sander or the same with a piece of 180 wrapped around a sanding
block does it for me.

I think anything more would probably complicate that task.

Well, there was a wink after my comment. ;-)