Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default OT - Ice Cream and Toilet Supply Lines

On 3/6/2021 8:45 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 06 Mar 2021 16:36:56 -0500, Michael Trew
wrote:

On 3/6/2021 2:31 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Since I'm sprucing up the bathroom, I figured I might as well get a nice new
supply line for the toilet.

Remember when a half gallon of ice cream suddenly shrunk to 1.75 qts and even 1.5 qts for some brands? Apparently the plumbing industry took notice.

Here's my old 12" supply line compared to the new 12" supply line.

https://i.imgur.com/QYEh8I9.jpg

Guess how much more supply line I need to tighten up the connection?

Same as the 2"X4" studs in 100+ year old homes, as compared to the
1.5"X3.5" "2X4" lumber of today.

Well, there is a reason for that but...

Economics. A old friend had an old home that he was doing some
modifications on. His wall studs were OAK 2x4, actual size. He had to
take that into consideration when cutting nailing AND matching up wall
thickness.

From what I understand, the lumber, now, starts at 2x4 and shrinks and
gets milled to 1.5 x 3.5.

Perhaps a better example would be plywood.

Economics.

Comparisons could go on. A prime example being our local daily paper,
which I sometimes wonder why I still subscribe to. It's at least 1/3 of
the size that it was 20 years ago, even printed on shorter broadsheet
paper; yet the price is over 3 times higher.