Posted to uk.d-i-y
JohnP JohnP is offline

Default Contrast wall - which

Chris Hogg wrote in
:

On Sat, 06 Mar 2021 21:17:32 GMT, JohnP wrote:

I want to have a different coloured wall when I decorate the lounge.

20 x 12 feet

window & patio on one long side
fireplace & TV on one short side
doorway to hall other long side

I feel inclined to have the contrast and slightly darker wall as the
long side facing the window.

Are there any conventions or effects that this goes against?

My late wife was very good at that sort of thing. Amongst other
things, she had a little booklet - 'Hints for Home Decorators',
published by the Texalo Manufacturing Co. I see there's one for sale
on ABE, 16th Edition, 1930. https://tinyurl.com/y9ksh2bt Hers was
later, 23rd edition, so probably pre- or just post-war.

In it there's a simple guide for colour combinations:
(hope this works!)

Colour Colour Contrasting
of walls of woodwork colours

Red White or cream cream and
Venetian red and chocolate
chocolate

Blue Light and dark blue pale blue and
Light and dark rich rich red
red

Green Light and dark green Pale green and
Cream and old gold Old Gold

Yellow Cream and Old Gold Pale gold and
Pale pink and light red

Make of it what you will! What might have been in vogue pre-war may
seem old fashioned today.

Then there are colour wheels https://tinyurl.com/wrafztb and
https://tinyurl.com/y2sppvwq

Other points: use strong colours over small areas, paler colours over
larger areas. Too much strong colour can be overwhelming. Remember
also the colour of your furniture.

Thanks for that.