Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Edge Sanding

On 3/6/2021 11:40 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 09:38:57 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 3/5/2021 8:56 PM, Bob D wrote:
On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 10:56:18 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
Yes, Steve says that they have 2 of that particular
sander in stock and I tell him I am on my way.

...and then there were none. After you told me the long sad story of all your days of searches, I called and bought the one remaining sander at Clarke's Hardwood. I ordered the edge guide from Harteville Tools.

Bob

I thought of you BOB when Steve said he had one more. LOL

Have you ever been to Hartville HArdware???
MY DIL's parents live about 3~5 miles from that store. INCREDIBLE!!!

Obviously a long drive to Ohio but wow it is almost a destination by it
self.

The store is similar in size as HD or Lowes but multi stories. And
every department is HUGE.

The tool department is incredible, the first place I put hands on a
Shaper Origin in 2019.

I saw one in Highland before that, I think. At the time I said
"that's cool but *$2500* cool???". The demo on Youtube of the floor
inlays changed my mind but it's still a lot of money. That's why I
was interested in your inlays. I wanted to know how hard it really
was. Professionals can make really difficult things look easy. I'd
never think of inlaying a $10,000 floor with templates and a router.

To tell you the truth I was interested, but not enough to consider it
over a regular CNC. BUT then they came out with the WorkStation and
that I all it took.
So I have absolutely no back ground in this computerized CNC stuff.

The small boxes that I built, 14 of them IIRC, in December, were a first
for me at using the "built in 'box joint" feature and inlaying.
Shockingly easier doing box joints on this than my iBOX from Incra and
my Leigh Jig with the Finger Joint template.

The YouTube videos really reduce the learning curve, especially the ones
that Sam, with Shaper produces.

There was no experimenting on those boxes with the inlay. I used no
computer for setting up the inlays or the box joints. I only used
Sketchup to design the boxes minus the inlays.
AAMOF I was going to experiment with the box joints on some poplar
scraps. They came out so well that I actually used them too.

The Texas that I inlayed is from a SVG file of the U.S. This came with
the Origin to play around with. The fact that you can scale your
drawing on the Origin is a big plus in simplification. And it overlays
the drawing that you will be cutting on top of the actual picture of the
piece of wood that you will be working with. So placement and scale is
handled while you are looking at the built in screen. And you can
establish the XY axis for exact placement of the cuts, on the screen too.

And they have depth on most every tool brand that you would consider buying.

And I just found out, when looking for the sander that Hartville ships
for free with no minimum quantity or value of sale.

Nice. I can't remember what it was that I ordered recently that was
fulfilled by , with catalog included in the packing material.

I could probably spend a whole weekend in that store.