Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default What is the exact tap & die size for a USA garden hose thread(it's not NH)

On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 9:19:36 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/5/2021 5:58 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...

"micky" wrote in message

What is this backflow stuff? If you're
water supply is never interrupted,

But they all can be occasionally.

--------------------------

Personally I've seen and rearranged a garden hose submerged in a
swimming pool to refill it in the spring, to raise the level high enough
to filter out the leaf debris, dead bugs, bird crap and green algae. The
owner had covered the pool but a seam ripped.

The companies that make backflow preventers has some good lobbyists. At
work we had to have them on all pressure vessels, like boilers. Our
boilers had much higher pressure than the town water system.

At home we have to have them on the lawn sprinklers. I pay $25 a year
for someone to come out and inspect it. Never saw the guy but there is
a new tag on it and a bill in the mail.

I'd like to see good some statistics on how much good they do. This
gives a number but does not say if it is one year or a hundred years.

https://www.plumbtimesc.com/the-impo...-home-or-work/

A report by the CDC confirmed that more than 1006 people across 19
states in the US had some form of sickness related to water
contamination. Contaminated water can spread diseases in a split second
due to the interconnection of water systems. Backflows tend to redirect
contaminated water in homes.

Didn't bother to go read it, but also does "sickness related to water contamination"
only include fresh water systems? Public water systems? Or is it any water
contamination, eg water in boats, RVs, drinking water from a stream, etc.
Needing to inspect the backflow thing once a year is certainly excessive.
Another govt program to rip you off and create more govt jobs. Even if they
were going to inspect them, once every 5 years would be enough. Thankfully
in NJ there is no inspection at all. There might be an inspection now when
first installed, but 25 years ago when i had mine put in, they didn't even require
that.