Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Fan/Blower bearing support

On 05/03/2021 19:04, Fredxx wrote:
On 05/03/2021 17:40, Mark wrote:
"rick" wrote in message
I have an air handling unit down due to fan failure .... its a DC
variable
speed blower, and the rotor is a tangential set of blades fitted
around the
motor .... on one end there is a ball bearing race that is held in
the form
of rubber isolating mount/bush.
Presumably to provide noise isolation and some self-centering.

The bearing has seized .. OK I can replace that, but the rubber bush it
mounts in is very soft ... so assume damaged.

https://flic.kr/p/2kHeKth

Yes I Did look at the photo!
If the new bearing is not a good fit in that rubber housing I would
try some
Silicone Moulding Rubber

That was my thought too. Perhaps a film of grease on the moving parts so
they are still free to turn after potting in rubber.

I suspect it might be a "special" but still might be worth asking
"Bearing Services" or whatever they call themselves now.

Otherwise I would be thinking about DIY-ing. RTV (room temperature
vulcanisation) is the magic search phrase to describe two-part silicone
"casting" rubbers. The final result tends to be fairly soft, probably
softer than "car engine mounting" type rubber. No need for release
agents with RTV, this does not stick to anything. I would probably be
trying to fabricate something from rubber sheet (but I have off-cuts of
horse matting to hand).