Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living
micky micky is offline

Default What is the exact tap & die size for a USA garden hose thread (it's not NH)

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 5 Mar 2021 07:20:15 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Can you drill out the setscrew and clean up burred faucet threads with a
small triangular file? Although they aren't required here I use those
screw-on check valves to prevent backflow from sun-heated hoses but I remove
the setscrew, and take them off in winter so the faucet can drain and not
freeze and burst (again). I put brass quick connects on the check valve and
hose ends so disconnecting the hose doesn't unscrew the valve. Just in case,
the first short hose section at the faucet is rated for drinking water.

What is this backflow stuff? If you're water supply is never
interrupted, why would anything flow backwards.

And if it flow backwards, is it going to be more than an inch or two?

It's 8 feet from my garden faucet to the main cold water pipe. How is
the water ever going to flow back 8 feet.

And if it does, it will get diluted by the incoming clean water.

And then what are the odds I'll drink it, rather than flush the toilet,
take a shower, or wash the dishes?

And if you do get a little garden hose poison, it will build up your
resistance? Like with snake poison.

Who has not drunk out of the garden hose already?