Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT Nearly got scammed ...

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 16:47:18 +0000, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 03/03/2021 18:02, T i m wrote:
But we have the 'don't give your bank / credit card details / PIN /
password to anyone who phones*you* rule that should deal with a fair
percentage of the scammers. Then you have the 'don't give anyone
(unknown / untrusted) remote access to your PC' group? Then you get
the bogus delivery type.

ring ring "This is Lloyds bank here. Can I ask you some security
questions?"

I actually laughed out loud, and said "How stupid do you think I am?"

There was a pause. "What do you mean?"

I said "Well, you've got a pretty good idea who I am, as you 'phoned me.
But I have no idea whatsoever who you are."

Quite right.

The man from Lloyds (and it really was Lloyds) thought for a bit then
said "You're right you know, but nobody else has ever said that".

Doh! I've done similar and have actually traded details a bit at a
time (being very aware / conscious not to give them anything they
might not have come across from a database etc).

I gave him one bit of information only. The local branch where it was
convenient for me to collect a message. Which was of course not important.

Don't some places have an agreed password they give you, after you
have given them sufficient to prove that you are who they wanted you
to be?

Cheers, T i m