Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT Nearly got scammed ...

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
On 03/03/2021 18:02, T i m wrote:
But we have the 'don't give your bank / credit card details / PIN /
password to anyone who phones*you* rule that should deal with a fair
percentage of the scammers. Then you have the 'don't give anyone
(unknown / untrusted) remote access to your PC' group? Then you get
the bogus delivery type.

ring ring "This is Lloyds bank here. Can I ask you some security
questions?"

I actually laughed out loud, and said "How stupid do you think I am?"

There was a pause. "What do you mean?"

I said "Well, you've got a pretty good idea who I am, as you 'phoned me.
But I have no idea whatsoever who you are."

The man from Lloyds (and it really was Lloyds) thought for a bit then said
"You're right you know, but nobody else has ever said that".

I got a similar result with the local BankWest which was at one time
owned by your HBOS before the financial crisis forced them to sell it.

They rang me to try to flog me some investment products and
asked for my PIN, basically to ensure that they were talking to
me and not just anyone who answered the phone and claimed
to be me. I pointed out the problem but couldnt get the droid
to see the problem. I rang management and even they couldnt
see the problem.

I gave him one bit of information only. The local branch where it was
convenient for me to collect a message. Which was of course not important.