Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default OT Nearly got scammed ...

On 03/03/2021 18:02, T i m wrote:
But we have the 'don't give your bank / credit card details / PIN /
password to anyone who phones*you* rule that should deal with a fair
percentage of the scammers. Then you have the 'don't give anyone
(unknown / untrusted) remote access to your PC' group? Then you get
the bogus delivery type.

ring ring "This is Lloyds bank here. Can I ask you some security
questions?"

I actually laughed out loud, and said "How stupid do you think I am?"

There was a pause. "What do you mean?"

I said "Well, you've got a pretty good idea who I am, as you 'phoned me.
But I have no idea whatsoever who you are."

The man from Lloyds (and it really was Lloyds) thought for a bit then
said "You're right you know, but nobody else has ever said that".

I gave him one bit of information only. The local branch where it was
convenient for me to collect a message. Which was of course not important.

Andy