Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Ethanol

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 09:58:54 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

I always thought the smell of the exhaust of high-performance engines
such as in sports and racing cars at hill climb meetings etc was due
to the use of 'Castrol' somewhere in the fuel mix (whatever Castrol
was)

"Castrol R" based on castor oil.

Don't think it was the same the and the resultant smell was nice but
weren't you able to apply a shot (or shots) of 'Redex' (an Upper
Cylinder Lubricant) in with your fuel?

I'm pretty sure all those lads running 'racing' bikes / cars of the
day would use it, as did my Dad in his Austin A40 a few times (as he
would let me add it). You just told them how many shots you applied
(if it was self service). ;-)

Those were the days when you could have loads of things out on the
forecourt and they wouldn't generally get stolen ... including the
tyre inflator (that would be on a quick connector).

Watering cans, Redex shot dispenser, buckets with water and a sponge
and squeegee in, small oil display racks etc.

Now it's just firewood, disposable BBQ's and bags of charcoal, flowers
and bottled water?

Cheers, T i m