Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ethanol

Possibly, though unlikely. Bioethanol is made from fermentation of sugar
(from cane). Sucrose is said to be slightly soluble in ethanol (about 1
in 170), so I wonder if any could be carried over in the final stage
distillation process. If it was, and that was burnt, it could account
for a caramel odour. I would very much doubt it, though, and it would
need a very sensitive nose to detect it.

--

Jeff

On 04/03/2021 08:21, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Can you explain though why there is a different smell to the exhaust on
Ethanol powered cars. Its like its sweet and almost sugary on the tip of
ones tongue, or is this just me and my peculiar sense organs!

Brian