Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive Page[_2_] Clive Page[_2_] is offline

Default Amazon Prime - inertia selling?

On 03/03/2021 18:23, pinnerite wrote:
I found a "subscription" charge for £7.99 marked Amazon Prime.
I have never knowingly signed up.

I think it might be one of those almost-concealed bits of wording that could easily be missed.
Next, you've got a monthly £7.99 charge!

I think this amounts to inertia selling which is illegal under both UK and EU law.

I am determined to follow thus up.

That's very good, I hope you succeed.

I've bought a few things from amazon.co.uk over the last year and it gets harder each time to avoid automatically paying for Prime, or indeed an extra fee for faster delivery when free delivery is an alternative. The only way to avoid it is via a link which is deliberately obscure and much less prominent than all the other options.

I happen to think that in some cases Amazon provides a useful service so am willing to use it when other options fail, but feel quite strongly that its boss is rich enough without having me subscribe to Prime unwittingly.

--
Clive Page