Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Amazon Prime - inertia selling?

On 03/03/2021 18:23, pinnerite wrote:
I found a "subscription" charge for £7.99 marked Amazon Prime.
I have never knowingly signed up.

I think it might be one of those almost-concealed bits of wording that could easily be missed.
Next, you've got a monthly £7.99 charge!

I think this amounts to inertia selling which is illegal under both UK and EU law.

I am determined to follow thus up.

Chances are you ordered something that was only available at the price
offered for Prime subscribers, and hence they automatically included a
subscription when you placed the order because that was the only way you
could complete the order. (other than dropping the item from the basket,
and searching for it again and choosing a higher priced version not
limited to Prime subscribers)

So using "dark pattern" web design, and some underhand tactics
certainly, but you can bet they won't have made obvious legal mistakes.

(they will refund you though)

--
Cheers,

John.