Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT Nearly got scammed ...

"tim..." wrote in message

"Jimmy Stewart" wrote in message
Wife got phone call this moning fom Virgin media and the indian caller in
a busy call centre told her her computer was runing slow and she could
speed things up...wife didn't have her laptop on and couldn't find her
glasses so she hollered out the window to me in the font garden to come
in and speak to the wummin'....so I came in and spoke to her....she asked
me if I had my computer on and what was the key to the right of CTRL....I
told her FN and she said to push the windows key to the right of
that......at that point I twigged it was a scam and hung up....she phoned
back imediately and I hung up again....I assumed it was a scam but the
scarry thing was The wife would have fell for it....what info were they
after after they took over the computer ?

what sort of intelligent person believes random caller that says "your
computer is running slowly"

Someone who doesnt understand anything about
computers and that is by far the majority of people.

How are they supposed to know this?

It isnt hard for the service provider to see
that a remote computer is running slowly
and not surprising that a member of the
public assumes that is possible.

do they have a camera installed in your house watching you, or something?

They dont need that, just monitor the
traffic over the service being provided.

And most computers do in fact have
a camera looking at the user too.