Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur
charles charles is offline

Default OT Nearly got scammed ...

In article , tim...
wrote:

"Jimmy Stewart" wrote in message
Wife got phone call this moning fom Virgin media and the indian caller
in a busy call centre told her her computer was runing slow and she
could speed things up...wife didn't have her laptop on and couldn't
find her glasses so she hollered out the window to me in the font
garden to come in and speak to the wummin'....so I came in and spoke
to her....she asked me if I had my computer on and what was the key to
the right of CTRL....I told her FN and she said to push the windows
key to the right of that......at that point I twigged it was a scam
and hung up....she phoned back imediately and I hung up again....I
assumed it was a scam but the scarry thing was The wife would have
fell for it....what info were they after after they took over the
computer ?

what sort of intelligent person believes random caller that says "your
computer is running slowly"

How are they supposed to know this?

your router has reported this, of course

do they have a camera installed in your house watching you, or something?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England