Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur
jon jon is offline

Default OT Nearly got scammed ...

On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 14:22:01 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 14:06:37 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 03/03/2021 13:54, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 13:52:30 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 03/03/2021 13:04, charles wrote:
In article ,
Jimmy Stewart wrote:
Wife got phone call this moning fom Virgin media and the indian
caller in a busy call centre told her her computer was runing slow
and she could speed things up...wife didn't have her laptop on and
couldn't find her glasses so she hollered out the window to me in
the font garden to come in and speak to the wummin'....so I came in
and spoke to her....she asked me if I had my computer on and what
was the key to the right of CTRL....I told her FN and she said to
push the windows key to the right of that......at that point I
twigged it was a scam and hung up....she phoned back imediately and
I hung up again....I assumed it was a scam but the scarry thing was
The wife would have fell for it....what info were they after after
they took over the computer ?

I had one of these calls a few months ago. When I said the key had a
cogwheel on it, there was a long pause. Then "Is it a Windows
computer?",
to which I replied "No" and they hung up.

I did that some time ago..got them all excited wasted half an hour of
their time before they twigged i was running Linux.

Unfortunately it also wasted half an hour of my time too.

Think of it as your good deed for the day - one less vulnerable person
scammed in that time.

I have a stupid neighbour and I am always finding he has been scammed,
gets paranoid, changes all his passwords and then cant get any emåil or
wifi. That because he insists on being on BT.

When ever I get a phone call from 'BT ' 'about my internet' i tell them
I am not on BT so **** off

Not having a landline solves so many problems.

I need one for my modem.