Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jimmy Stewart ...[_2_] Jimmy Stewart ...[_2_] is offline

Default OT Nearly got scammed ...

On 03/03/2021 13:04, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 12:00:48 +0000, GB
wrote:

snip

is pushing the windows key one of the steps to give them control of your
computer ? ...

Thanks goodness you didn't push it. If you had pressed the windows key
and R at the same time, they could have taken over your soul. Mind you,
most changes would be an improvement.

;-)

I really don't understand how / why most 'fully marbled' people could
/ would fall for any such things, unless they lived under a rock?

Unfortunately the BIL has lived under a (technical) rock and not long
after going online, fell for a scam and was tricked into moving a
large chunk of his savings into a 'safe account' (theirs of course).
Luckily he got it all back but ...

People read the papers, watch the news, follow social media where
warnings about this sort of scam are abundant but some still seem to
fall for it?

A telephone call from 'Windows Support' or 'BT Openreach' (from a
noisy call centre in India) telling me my BT broadband will be
disconnected (when I'm on cable) or that my Windows PC is compromised
(when I'm on Linux in that instance) is normally all it takes to start
the bells ringing (and not the tinnitus this time) and then I can
decide how far I want to play them and waste their time.

I did suggest to one that they 'sounded reasonably technical, why
don't you get a genuine job in IT support?' and their reply was that
there were none available.

Cheers, T i m
It is the only situation where I get to call them black *******s without

fear of prosecution...tee hee