Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur
jon jon is offline

Default OT Nearly got scammed ...

On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 12:00:48 +0000, GB wrote:

On 03/03/2021 11:40, Jimmy Stewart wrote:
On 03/03/2021 11:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 11:26:44 +0000, Jimmy Stewart wrote:

Wife got phone call this moning fom Virgin media and the indian
caller in a busy call centre told her her computer was runing slow
and she could speed things up...wife didn't have her laptop on and
couldn't find her glasses so she hollered out the window to me in the
font garden to come in and speak to the wummin'....so I came in and
spoke to her....she asked me if I had my computer on and what was the
key to the right of CTRL....I told her FN and she said to push the
windows key to the right of that......at that point I twigged it was
a scam and hung up....she phoned back imediately and I hung up
again....I assumed it was a scam but the scarry thing was The wife
would have fell for it....what info were they after after they took
over the computer ?

Who knows ? But they probably make a cent or two for every infected
computer they can deliver to the bot networks.

Crypto mining was in vogue a while back.

is pushing the windows key one of the steps to give them control of
your computer ? ...

Thanks goodness you didn't push it. If you had pressed the windows key
and R at the same time, they could have taken over your soul. Mind you,
most changes would be an improvement.

oh, that is so unfair the way you treat jimbo