Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur
Jimmy Stewart[_2_] Jimmy Stewart[_2_] is offline

Default OT Nearly got scammed ...

On 03/03/2021 11:31, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 11:26:44 +0000, Jimmy Stewart wrote:

Wife got phone call this moning fom Virgin media and the indian caller
in a busy call centre told her her computer was runing slow and she
could speed things up...wife didn't have her laptop on and couldn't find
her glasses so she hollered out the window to me in the font garden to
come in and speak to the wummin'....so I came in and spoke to her....she
asked me if I had my computer on and what was the key to the right of
CTRL....I told her FN and she said to push the windows key to the right
of that......at that point I twigged it was a scam and hung up....she
phoned back imediately and I hung up again....I assumed it was a scam
but the scarry thing was The wife would have fell for it....what info
were they after after they took over the computer ?

Who knows ? But they probably make a cent or two for every infected
computer they can deliver to the bot networks.

Crypto mining was in vogue a while back.

is pushing the windows key one of the steps to give them control of your
computer ? ...